fbpx

IMPORTANT: THESE FORUMS ARE NO LONGER MAINTAINED

[CLICK HERE] TO VISIT OUR NEW COMMUNITY FORUM

To Save Or Not To Save

Home Forums General discussions about Gig Performer To Save Or Not To Save

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Nebojsa Djogo 2 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

David Jameson
    Keymaster

We wrote a blog article on our thoughts about how a master volume control should work.
    You can read it here.

We’d love to hear your thoughts. Post them as a reply to this.

Lee Turner
    Participant

Nice feature. I play in different bands who have differing mixer setups. I would say that the master volume should be stored within a gig. That way a duplicate gig can be made with different master settings, one for the gigs where I use an automated mixer that I control, and another for the gigs where it’s literally out of my hands.

David Jameson
    Keymaster

Let me push back on that, we started with that thinking.

Remember however that there is a SINGLE “master volume”, not multiple ones. That single knob defines the overall level of the entire gig, not individual instruments or rackspaces.

So in your normal usage where you have automated mixer, that “master volume” (or as I think of it, a master volume override) would always be zero dB, which is the default.

But when you go to a show where you have no control, each show is going to require a different amount of that global override, they’ll never be the same. So what would be the point to saving the value from the previous time? You’ll need to tweak it every time so you might as well start off at 0dB any way (and then no need to duplicate the gig, which would require you to manage two versions of your gig, not a good idea anyway)

Mike Lopez
    Participant

I mostly agree with the thoughts you had in the blog. The only thing I would say is that the master volume should definitely be MIDI/OSC assignable. Like you mentioned in the post I constantly deal with house PA’s and I always have to have a knob or slider handy with my master volume to adjust if I have to. Right now I use the knob for my master outputs on my audio interface but if I can have it on a dedicated midi slider on my controller right in front of me that would make it so much more convenient.
    That being said I don’t think the value has to be saved for the reasons you mentioned in the blog. Also, it would probably make sense to make the master volume midi assignment a global midi preference.

Pianopaul
    Participant

I agree with mike, for me it is not necessary to store the master level in the gig.
    0 db as starting value should be OK.

But it would be very handy when this master volume could be controlled by Midi and OSC.

One question: When you include this new master knob in a rackspace, will that automatically appear on all rackspaces?
    Or will that be a kind of global panel?

David Jameson
    Keymaster

@Mike, remember that the output of Gig Performer is an INPUT to the PA system. You generally do not want to be controlling volume on an ongoing level through that INPUT. You just want to make sure that the audio is not too hot so that it overloads the input stage of the PA and not so low that noise is introduced when the audio is amplified. You could think of this knob as being an “attenuator” to handle the problem where the input gain of the PA system is too high. It is not something to be used for riding the volume. That’s why we don’t think MIDI control is a goog idea.

@pianopaul, this control is not in a rackspace

Chris
    Participant

Though I get David’s point, it would be still good to have master volum controlled by Midi and OSC. I often play GP along with media files or another midi app, and I thought it would be handy to quickly control volume in GP.

Anonymous

You’ll drive the soundman crazy if you’re constantly adjusting your volume. Not sure I see the value in this function unless you need to adjust your volume using MIDI/OSC.

I think the best approach is set/adjust the volume of each rack space. I will also compare rackspace to make sure they approximately the same volume. I use the meters and my ears to make sure the rackspaces are even. Some patches will still have a lot of dynamics so I will add a limiter to the VST path to make sure I don’t clip.

If I need to adjust the volume of my output, I use the volume knob on my audio interface. I set it at sound-check and don’t touch it for the reset of the show.

I’ve done the same with all my gear to make sure I have consistent levels.

That said, I’m always a sucker for a new knob. Not sure if I’ll use it, but it will look cool. 🙂

Nebojsa Djogo
    Keymaster

Chris – this is exactly how everyone should approach their level adjustments. I personally do it exactly the same way. Set each rackspace properly so I have approximately the same or rather the desired levels out (my rhythm guitar is a bit quieter than my main lead sound for example). Put limiters in place to make sure it doesn’t clip.

If one was to adjust the main output constantly during a show – it would indeed, not only drive your sound engineer crazy, but it would most likely throw the entire mix out of whack.

Still – we found situations where it is very useful to have a temporary, overall trim control – especially useful in rehearsals when you find out that you are too loud for example. Rather than wasting your band’s valuable time adjusting everything – you can just pull down a bit on this knob and have it done. Later – one can properly adjust either the rackspaces or or the actual mixing console.
    I used to use a knob on my audio interface for this in rehearsals, but most audio interfaces will not have a master knob that can be used in this fashion so we thought we would provide one in GP. It will be very clear that this is a temporary measure that will always revert to 0dB on start and will indicate in bright colors that it has been tempered with 🙂

As you say – who isn’t a sucker for a new knob 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.